The Sports Turf Management and Maintenance Course
This two and a half day Sports Turf Canada developed course has been designed to introduce the latest principles and techniques of managing and maintaining natural sports turf. It will be of interest to those who manage or maintain sports turf, other turf areas, and those who wish to develop additional knowledge and skills in this important field. The course offers a range of options to deal with issues such as restricted pesticide use, restricted water use, and how best to manage with limited financial resources.
- Turf species and their uses, characteristics and benefits, emphasizing the latest and best varieties for particular uses
- Soils as a growth medium for turfgrass including soil fertility, soil water movement and management of soils for better athletic field performance
- Cultural practices which enhance and promote good turf and improved playing conditions
- Water management including sub-surface and surface drainage systems, irrigation practices and systems and the efficient use of water and weather information for managing improvements under water restrictions
- An overview of the identification, monitoring and control of weeds, insects, and diseases in sports turf
- Integrated pest management (IPM) programs to recognize and monitor infestations of weeds, insects, and diseases, to identify thresholds, to reduce pesticide use, and to utilize biological and cultural methods to control/reduce infestations
- Renovations and restoration methods for poorly performing fields and best practices which promote good conditions and improved maintenance practices
- Sports field construction including proper design, layout, orientation and the hidden aspects for good turf
Course Dates (check back often!)
If you are interested in hosting (provide a room for 15 people for 2 days, tables/chairs, some learners, a screen/TV monitor and a nearby natural sports field) a course, please contact the Sports Turf Canada office at 519-763-9431 or firstname.lastname@example.org
April 3rd - 5th, 2019
Hillfield Strathallan College is hosting!