Established in 1993, Sports Turf Canada’s Robert W. Sheard Scholarship is named in recognition of Dr. Sheard’s immeasurable contribution and support provided to STC over two decades.
Bob’s involvement with the fledgling organization began in 1990 upon his retirement as a Professor of Soil Science at the University of Guelph. He became STC’s first Executive Secretary and has played a role in most, if not all, association initiatives since that time. He was editor and a major contributor to the Sports Turf Newsletter, now the Sports Turf Manager. He edited and produced An Athletic Field Managers’ Guide and the Athletic Field Construction Manual, and penned the Constructing the Sports Field brochure and the text Understanding Turf Management, transferring ownership and donating all proceeds to the association. He has served on the boards of the International Turfgrass Society, the Guelph Turfgrass Institute and the Ontario Turfgrass Symposium, among others.
The scholarship may be awarded annually and is funded through STC membership fees. The award is intended to assist students with the cost of tuition, books and related expenses.
We encourage you to apply for the STC Robert W. Sheard Scholarship if you:
- Are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
- Are currently enrolled in and have completed two semesters of education in a post-secondary program in turf management at a recognized college or university in Canada; or, have completed the University of Guelph’s Turf Managers’ Short Course, or equivalent, in the current year.
- Have a desire to pursue a career in the sports turf industry.
1. Scholarships are non-renewable
2. Candidates will be judged on the basis of the information contained in their Scholarship Application Form and support material
3. Applications must be received by May 30th for consideration.
4. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
5. Presentation to the scholarship recipient will be made at an appropriate industry conference or event.
Submit with your completed scholarship application form.
1. An official transcript of your grades for the previous two semesters in the required
program of study.
2. A letter of recommendation from your current and/or previous employer; and from your academic advisor, course instructor or equivalent.
3. A typed essay, 1,200-1,500 words in length, on a sports turf related topic of your choice.
Note: If selected as the recipient of the Sports Turf Canada Robert W. Sheard Scholarship, you will be asked to provide a photograph of yourself for publication in the Sports Turf Manager.